FAI Sailplane Grand Prix
Time & Location
About the Event
Elevation – 4520’ amsl
Runway 03/21 – Asphalt Runway 33/15 – Grass
Entries due – 30th November 2019
Payment due - 30th November 2019
Unofficial Training start – 30th December 2019
Official Training - 3rd January 2020
Registration ( 09h00 to 15h00 daily) – 2nd & 3rd January 2020
Scrutinising & configuration check - 2nd & 3rd January 2020
Official opening, pilots safety briefing (compulsory) and dinner - 3rd January 2020 @ 17h00
Contest Flying – 4th to 11th January 2020
Prize giving, closing and farewell party – 11th January 2020 @ 19h00
Contest Director - TBA
IGC Referee – TBA
Secretary - TBA
Web Master – AJ May
Media – AJ May
Meteorology - TBA
Task Setter - TBA
Scoring – TBA
Tracking – TBA
Address for Correspondence
PO Box 823
Email to : Oscar Goudriaan firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel +27 18 484 4388
Fax +27 18 484 5011
- The completion class will be the FAI 18m Class
- Maximum allowed wing loading will be 55kg/m2.
- The entry fee will be ZAR 3000 per contestant ( approx € 180 ) per competing pilot, and excludes tow fees.
- Included in the entry fee are the opening and closing dinner for the pilot and 1 crew.
- Aerotow fees to be to be advised, depending on the price of avgas at the time. Current projections are a cost of ZAR 750-00 ( €55-00) per tow.
- Entry fee must be paid in full, ( banking & transfer cost must be paid by the competitor) before the 30th November 2019 into the following account:
Account Holder – PUK Akavlieg
Account Number - 4055108942
Bank – ABSA Potchefstroom
Branch Sort Code - 632005
SWIFT Code : ABSAZAJJ
Reference : Surname + SGP 2020
- Entry forms will be made available soon, which we will need to get your particular details.
- The contest will be governed by the latest version of the SGP Rules that can be downloaded from http://www.sgp.aero/about-sgp-racing/sporting-regulations.aspx?contestID=1066
- Local rules and a self briefing document will be available on the contest website before August 2016 http://www.sgp.aero/finals2016.aspx?contestID=16141
- South Africa is an ICAO signatory. Competitor’s licences that are issued by a fellow ICAO country, can be validated locally. A procedure for this will be circulated. There is a statutory fee for this validation. The cost will be advised
- Competitors must have a valid FAI Competitors Licence
Airworthiness Requirements for gliders
- South African Civil Aviation Regulations require the glider to have the following on board or readily available
- Certificate of Registration
- Authority to Fly ( non type certified) or Certificate of Airworthiness ( type certified)
- Weight and Balance Report (not older than 5 years)
- Aircraft Radio Station Licence
- First Aid kit
- Pilot Licence
- Aeronautical Map ( will be supplied for the contest)
- It is highly recommended that the glider is equipped with oxygen. Oxygen for refilling on board systems will be available of the field at a nominal cost ZAR 100
- Although Flarm is not mandatory in SA, it is highly recommended for your safety and that of the other competitors that your glider is Flarm equipped.
- Please update your IGC online profile on the IGC website as soon as possible. This will enable us to put your details on our website.
- Gliders should be insured for 3rd party damage to the amount of ZAR 2 000 000
- Pilots and crew members must have proof of personal medical cover, covering accidents and sickness, including local medical costs.
Potchefstroom is a university town, with many countries and athletes using the excellent facilities of the University as an off season training base. Accommodation in the form of guest houses or hotels is freely available, and can be found on the internet.
Limited facilities are available for camping at the airfield.
Catering & Entertainment
- The gliding club has a fully functional restaurant, and will be serving breakfast and dinner each day.
- Evening events will be scheduled at the airfield. Depending on the weather and interest, day of afternoon trips to local game reserves can be organized.
- Events, catering details, menus, etc will be made available soon on our website.